If you want to know how to activate BitLocker Windows 11, you’ve come to the right place. You’ve heard of the Windows 11 BitLocker encryption system, which appears to be hidden in the operating system. So, you have decided to investigate the matter by searching the internet. And here, in this way, you arrived at our blog.
We will explain how you can easily turn on BitLocker in Windows 11 operating system. We will tell you what you need to do to encrypt your hard drive or SSD with AES-128 or AES-256 encryption using BitLocker Drive Encryption. By doing so, the Windows partitions will remain invisible to the tools that “sniff” them. The same is true for the files contained in them. If you do not enter the password at startup or if you do not insert the USB key with the decrypt key into the PC, you will not be able to access the hard drive.
Activating BitLocker Windows 11 should allow you not to be spied on Windows 11. However, you will need to remember not to leave the decrypt key inserted in your PC. On the other hand, if you will use the password at startup, you will have to avoid typing it and leaving it on the desk. Otherwise, it’s all in vain. That said, we can begin.
Does BitLocker work on Windows 11 Home?
No, Windows 11 Home doesn’t provide the ability to encrypt your hard drives with BitLocker. Although Windows 11 Home doesn’t come with BitLocker, you can use the “device encryption” option, but only if your device meets the hardware requirements.
Windows 11 BitLocker Recovery Key
When you ask yourself how to activate BitLocker Windows 11, the first thing you need to know is that the BitLocker Windows 11 recovery key must be kept as if it were “gold”. There is no way to crack a BitLocker-encrypted drive to access it, especially if the encryption applied is AES 256-bit. If the hard drive is encrypted, for now, you can only format it. Therefore, if you lose the BitLocker key, you will lose all your projects. That’s why it’s good to store it in multiple safe places.
- Version Windows 11 Pro or Windows 11 Enterprise.
- A computer that supports the Trusted Platform Module ( TPM) chip.
- BIOS that supports USB at boot or TPM.
- Two NTFS partitions on the operating system (BitLocker will automatically create them if it doesn’t find them).
- Computer power supply to prevent it from crashing during the encryption process.
How to Enable BitLocker in Windows 11
Method 1: Via Settings
- Press Win + I shortcut combination and open Windows 11 settings.
- Go to the path: System > Storage> Advanced storage settings > Disks & volumes.
- Now you will see all of the drives.
- Select the drive that you want to encrypt and click Properties.
- Under BitLocker and click Turn on BitLocker.
Method 1: Via Control Panel
In addition to Settings, you can turn on BitLocker in Control Panel.
- Firstly open Control Panel.
- Now in order to start BitLocker setup, click on BitLocker Drive Encryption.
Set Up BitLocker in Windows 11
- You need to click the “Turn on BitLocker” option next to the drive that you want to encrypt.
- Now check the box “Use a password to unlock the drive”.
- Enter your password carefully, and then retype the password.
- Select a method to back up the recovery key.
- Select either “encrypt used disk space only” or “encrypt entire drive”.
- Finally, choose the encryption mode and click on Start encrypting.