Now, Google gives us an option to install Chrome OS on PC and Mac devices called Chrome OS Flex. Nowadays, Chromebooks have been dominating the education segment all over the world. So, Google has decided to take things a step further by introducing Chrome OS Flex. It can be run on both Windows OS and macOS. So, you can download it and install it on your old PC/Laptop and revive your old system.
However, It’s an extremely easy and simple process to install Chrome OS Flex on Windows. In fact, you can install Chrome OS Flex on an old low device easily. It works technically a lot smoother than the Windows operating system on the same PC. Here’s, we give the guidelines on downloading Chrome OS Flex ISO and installing it on your PC.
What is Chrome OS Flex?
Chrome OS Flex is a new version of Chrome OS. It is a cloud-first operating system for Windows PC and Macs. Chrome OS Flex is free to use and built on the same code base as Chrome OS. It’s specially designed for students and other businesses since it’s built for easy mass deployment and management.
System requirements to install Chrome OS Flex
Google says most devices launched in the last ten or more years should work fine. But, to run Chrome OS Flex smoothly, you will need a system with at least these specifications.
- Intel or AMD x86-64-bit compatible device.
- Minimum 4GB of RAM.
- 16GB space on the system.
- Minimum 8GB USB Flash Drive.
- An internet connection.
- Bootable from a USB drive.
- BIOS with full administrator access.
How to install Chrome OS Flex on your PC Quickly?
Step 1: First, Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive
- Open Google Chrome on your PC and head over to this link.
- To add the extension to Chrome, just click on Add to Chrome.
- Click on the recently added extension.
- Plugin your external USB(minimum 8GB) drive to a PC.
- Once done, click on Get started.
- Select the Chrome OS Flex option after choosing the Select a model from a list option.
- Select the Chrome OS Flex option again in the option below it.
- Click Continue.
- Hit on Choose media installation device.
- Now, select your USB drive.
- Enter continue and click on Create now.
- Please wait for a few moments till it writes Chrome OS Flex to the USB drive.
Step 2: Using a USB drive, install Chrome OS Flex on your PC
- Plugin the Chrome OS Flex USB drive on your PC.
- Restart your PC.
- Press repeatedly the F8 key during boot to enter into the boot menu.
- Once you enter the boot menu, choose the external USB drive and press Enter.
- The new ChromeOS logo will appear.
- Please wait for the system to boot correctly and Enter Let’s Start.
- Once done the process, you will see two options.
- Select the Install CloudReady 2.0 option.
- Accept the disclaimer on the pop-up window.
- Installing process will start.
- Once the installation process is complete, remove the USB drive from the PC.
- Now, restart your PC.
NOTE: Your entire data on your system will be wiped out during this installation, so make sure to perform a backup in advance.
That’s how you can easily download and install the Chrome OS Flex on your old/new PC and experience a smoother version of Chrome OS.
Download Chrome OS Flex ISO
If you do not want to create a bootable USB drive via the Chrome utility, you need to download the Chrome OS Flex ISO file. After that, you can manually create a bootable USB drive using Rufus Tool. Sadly, Chrome OS Flex does not use the .iso image format, but you can use a .bin image for creating a bootable USB drive. Once the new build arrives, the old .bin file will no longer work, so search for the latest Chrome OS Flex .bin file online (We have not added it here).