Apple had recently announced iOS 16, which is a massive update. The iOS 16 developer beta 1 is out right now. Users can install the beta update on their iPhones. While many users can successfully install the update, some still face issues installing the new update on their iPhones.
Update 30/08/2022: Apple released the iOS 16 beta 8 with bug fixes, optimization and performance improvement. It comes with build number 20A5358a. If you own an iPhone 8 or newer, you can test the pre-release iOS 16 software by joining Beta Software Program. Navigate to the General > Software Update menu on your iPhone’s Settings app.
Unable to Install Update: An error occurred installing iOS 16
Several users reported that when trying to verify the update, they received an error on the screen saying‚ ‘Unable to Install Update – An error occurred installing iOS 16.’ If you are facing the same issue and want to install the iOS 16 beta on your iPhone, this fixing guide will help you. There are several fixes for this error that you can try. Follow the given instructions carefully to fix this error. Let’s take a look at the solutions.
Solution 1: Ensure That Your Device Meets The Update Requirements
Device compatibility is essential for you to be able to update to iOS 16. Make sure that you have enough storage space for the update. You must take care of some things before installing the iOS 16 update.
- Make sure that your iPhone supports iOS 16. Only iPhone 8 and later are compatible with iOS 16. So, if you have an older iPhone, you will not be able to install the iOS 16 update.
- Make sure that your iPhone has over 50% battery left. You might be unable to install iOS 16 if your iPhone’s battery is below 50%. Alternatively, you can put your iPhone on charge and install the update.
- It would be best if you connected to stable Wi-Fi. You can also try installing the update over mobile data, but connecting to a stable Wi-Fi network is best.
- Lack of sufficient free space can be the reason you are facing the install error. Make sure that you have enough free storage space available on your iPhone. Try deleting junk files and unused apps to free up some space.
- Lastly, if the problem persists, try installing the update after some time. The reason for this is that since many users are trying to install the iOS 16 update, there is a heavy load on Apple’s servers which generally causes the install error. That’s why it is recommended that you give your iPhone a break and try installing the update after some time. This should hopefully fix the “An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16” error, and you should be able to install iOS 16 on your iPhone.
Solution 2: Restart Your iPhone
This is a convenient solution to fix iPhones’ iOS 16 install errors. A restart helps clear all junk files and minor glitches that might be causing the iOS 16 install error. Here’s how you can restart your iPhone:
Press and quickly release the volume up button >> Press and quickly release the volume down button >> Press and hold the side button. Once the Apple logo appears, release the button. This will restart your iPhone.
Alternatively, you can power off your iPhone and turn it back on after 60 seconds. To power off your iPhone, press and hold the volume and side buttons until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider to the right and wait for your iPhone to turn off. Turn it back on after 60 seconds.
Solution 3: Check Network Connection
If you are still unable to install the new update on your iPhone, then you can try the following workaround. The iOS 16 update error might be caused due to unstable and poor network connection. Check your network connection and try to connect to a more stable network.
Try turning off and then turning on the Wi-Fi. For those using mobile data, try turning on and then turning off the Airplane mode to reset the network. If this doesn’t help, try resetting the network settings. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Settings app and navigate to General.
- Now tap Reset >> Reset Network Settings.
- Now go back and try installing the update again. The error will be fixed.
- If the problem persists, reset all settings, and this should hopefully fix the error.
Solution 4: Delete Downloaded Firmware
Since the update process has been interrupted by a lack of free space, unstable network, etc., it gets corrupted. To fix this, we need to delete the incomplete update and then restart the update.
- Open the Settings app and go to General.
- Next, tap on iPhone/iPad Storage.
- Look for the updated file and tap on it. Finally, tap on Delete Update to delete it.
- Now go back and try installing the iOS 16 update again. This should have hopefully fixed the error.
Solution 5: Update Your iPhone Using A Computer (iTunes)
If none of the above solutions worked for you, try updating your iPhone using a computer (iTunes). It is a very efficient way of installing the iOS update on your iPhone. Here’s how you can install iOS 16 on your iPhone using iTunes:
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Open iTunes and plug in your device. If prompted‚, tap ‘Trust this computer’ on your iPhone.
- Next, go to the Device tab, click Summary and then click Check for Update.
This was a detailed guide on several workarounds to fix the ‘Unable to Install Update – An error occurred installing iOS 16′ error. The above-listed solutions should help you install iOS 16 on your iPhone. If you still face any issues or have doubts or queries, do let us know in the comments section. We will try to help you out.
- Beta Regrets? You can downgrade from iOS 16 to iOS 15 easily