Have you just bought a new online game, but you can’t able to open and play it? Then what can you do? Most of the users reported that when they try to run the game, they get an error message that “Failed to Open Descriptor File”. This error is one of the common errors, so don’t panic or be frustrated.
Today we are discussing how you can fix the “Failed to Open Descriptor File” error. This error can happen with any game. Sometimes users face an error after installing the game. This can happen due to corrupt game files or missing critical files, etc. So, if you are suffering from the same error and can’t play the game, then follow our given methods step by step.
5 Ways to Fix Failed To Open Descriptor File Error
- Verify the Integrity of the Game Files
- Move the Game to C: drive
- Reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable Software
- Repair Corrupted files with the System File Checker tool
- Reinstall the Game
Method 1: Verify the Integrity of the Game Files
In the first step, we are talking about how to check the integrity of the game files. Sometimes, if your system suddenly shuts down, the game file could corrupt. So, follow the given steps to verify the integrity of the game files.
- Run the Steam client and open the Library
- Next, right-click on the game’s icon and click the Properties option
- In the next window, click on the Local Files
- Then, click on the Verify Integrity of Game Files option
- After that, wait for the verification process and repair
- Now, restart the game, and then check the error problem.
Method 2: Move the Game to C: drive
Now, we can move the game to C: drive and try to fix the “Failed to Open Descriptor File” error. Because when you download any game, it would have been stored in your download folder. So, follow to move the game to C: drive.
- Copy the game and go to the C: drive, then paste it
- Now, restart the game on your device
- Check the error problem hope you should not be getting the error.
Method 3: Reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable Software
To follow these steps, you have to uninstall the software first. After that, reinstall that software again. By doing this, your problem can be fixed. Follow our given steps to fix the Failed to Open Descriptor File error.
- Open your Control Panel
- In the program section, select Uninstall a Program
- Navigate the program Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
- Now, uninstall every program having a name of this sort
- Next, Install the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable software.
- After completing the installation process then, reboot your system now
- Now, you can run the game and check the error issue.
Method 4: Repair Corrupted files with the System File Checker tool
You can fix the Failed to Open Descriptor File error by repairing corrupted files with the system file checker tool. Windows operating system provides you with a repair corrupted system files name System File Checker (SFC). It helps you to scan your entire system for corrupted, damaged systems and old files. When the tool finds any corrupted files, it replaces them with the latest version.
Method 5: Reinstall the Game
Suppose your problem is not fixed even after following all the above procedures. Then you have to reinstall the game. Because maybe the problem is inside the game. Sometimes when you download the game, some of the files have not been downloaded. It could happen for some networks or some of the server issues.
So, you can reinstall the game and try to fix the issue. Firstly you uninstall the game which you want to play and then reinstall the game.
We hope your problem Failed to Open the Descriptor File will be fixed.