When setting up our PC for the first time, the keyboard is one of the most peripheral elements we need. With the help of the keyboard, interact graphically with the system interface, being able to enter characters for different purposes. Windows 11 packs voice assistant by default, yet it is common to use the keyboard to search your PC for queries.
Sometimes we face problems when our Windows 11 keyboard does not work. We cannot access our user session because we cannot type our password. If we also have pending work, we will not be able to continue creating text since we couldn’t write what we wanted. So we will see different options to solve which keyboard does not respond to Windows 11 operating system.
Affiliate Disclosure: When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Ways to Fix Keyboard Not Working Problem in Windows 11
Method 1: Update keyboard driver
We will update our keyboard drivers since it may be one of the reasons why it is not being recognized correctly.
- Go to the Device Manager using the search option from the start menu.
- Now go to the “Keyboards” section and right-click on the adapter that appears, and choose “Update driver”.
- Now click on “Search for drivers automatically”, then the system will search for them with Windows Update.
- Then you will see a notice that you already have the best drivers installed, and your keyboard should now work.
We recommend restarting your PC to apply the changes and validate that the keyboard works correctly again.
Method 2: Configure Regedit with the virtual keyboard
If the physical keyboard is disabled, you can use the on-screen or virtual keyboard to navigate through the interface.
- To open the virtual keyboard, go to the start menu and click on “All Applications.”
- Go to “Windows Accessibility” and click on “On-screen keyboard.”
- Open Run by right-clicking on the Windows 11 icon to see the context menu.
- We write “Regedit” and press “Enter” using the on-screen keyboard.
- Now we will have to go to the following route:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ i8042prt
- Click on the DWORD value called “Start” and double click on it.
- Now in “Value information”, we put the value 1. We save the changes and exit the editor.
Method 3: Repair disk or dll errors
You can do a disk scan for errors.
- Open the on-screen keyboard as we have seen before.
- Now search for CMD from the Start menu using the virtual keyboard and open it as administrators.
- Execute the following commands one after the other using the virtual keyboard.
- You can use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V from the virtual keyboard to copy and paste them from here:
Prompt sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll sfc /verifyfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll assoc sfc / scannow
- After these steps, restart your computer.
Method 4: Disable filter keys
- Firstly, go to Start > Settings
- Click on “Accessibility” and then on “Keyboard”.
- Now click on “Filter Keys”.
- Now we will activate the option “Ignore fast keystrokes”, “Ignore unintentional keystrokes”, and “Skip repeated keystrokes”.
- We will also disable the options “Show the Filter Keys icon on the taskbar” and “Make a sound when a key is pressed or accepted.
- After this, restart your PC.
In this way, we can solve that the keyboard does not work in Windows 11 operating system.