The Print Spooler in Windows 11 operating system has the ability to accommodate each of the print jobs we send, these files must wait for the image driver to be available to proceed with printing, just like the row in the super, custom As each file is printed, the print spooler is released. But the printer buffer does not always have the full capacity to support a long list of files and gives rise to errors, without a doubt that with the advancement of current printers the buffer is increasing, it has also increased proportionally the number of files to print leading to errors. So we may see different error messages when sending the files to print and that is why we will explain how to fix the print spooler. Are you seeing the error “The operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running in Windows 11″. How to fix it? let’s find out.
7 ways to Fix Print Spooler Problems on Windows 11
1. Restart Windows 11 printing service
- For this method, open Services from Start.
- Double click on the “Print spooler” service and then select “Properties”.
- Click on “Stop” to stop the printing service. Then click on “Start” to start it again, this restart process will help the print spooler to work correctly in Windows 11.
- Now we are going to validate that the printing service is being started automatically, this means that it will always be active, otherwise, the process may be stopped or it should be executed manually, to validate this, in the field “Type of start “should be the automatic value.
- Now we will use the recovery options with which it is possible to determine what action will be executed when the service fails, we go to the “Recovery” tab.
- We can configure the following:
First error: Restart the service
Second error: Restart the service
Following errors: Take no action
Reset error count after 1 day
Restart the service after 1 minute
- In this same window, we can avoid the interaction of the service with the desktop, it is not something that happens frequently, but if it happens it may have an impact on the behaviour, to prevent this, in the Start session tab uncheck the “Allow the service interact with desktop”. Apply the changes.
2 . Reset print spooler Windows 11
- If the error persists, we can restore the status of the used printer, for this, we double click on the “Print spooler” service and then select “Properties”.
- Click “Stop” to completely stop the service. We apply the changes.
- Now we go to the path “C: \ Windows \ System32 \ spool \ PRINTERS” and there we delete its content:
C: \ Windows \ System32 \ spool \ PRINTERS.
3 . Update printer drivers on Windows 11
- A common failure of the errors is working with outdated drivers, so it is advisable to update them so that they are compatible with the new versions of the system and others, to do this, open the Device Manager.
- We go to “Print spooler”, we right-click on the printer and select “Update driver“.
- In the pop-up window, it is possible to define the update method, automatic or manual.
- In this case, we select the automatic method and define whether or not there are new updates.
4 . Remove printer on Windows 11
- This method allows us to remove the Windows 11 printer and then install it again, for this process open the Control Panel from Start.
- Click on “View devices and printers”, then right-click on the printer and select “Remove device”.
- Now select the printer and click on “Print Server Properties”, in the “Drivers” tab select the drivers and delete them.
5 . Repair disk errors on Windows 11
- For this process we seek to perform an analysis on the Windows 11 file system, but not in the normal way but in safe mode for a more comprehensive analysis, to achieve this, open Settings and go to “System – Recovery”.
- We click on “Restart now” in the “Advanced startup” section and a message will be displayed.
- We click Restart now.
- Select “Troubleshoot”.
- Click on “Advanced Options”.
- Click on “Start Settings”.
- Click on “Restart”.
- Press the F4 key to access Windows 11 in safe mode.
- Access CMD as administrator and there execute: sfc / scannnow
- SFC (System File Checker) is a command developed to analyze the file system in Windows 11.
- Restart Windows 11 after completing the scan process.
6 . Delete printer keys on Windows 11
This is an option in which we are going to modify some system registers.
- First, we go to the path “C: \ Windows \ System32 \ spool \ drivers \ W32X86”, delete the contents of this folder: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ spool \ drivers \ W32X86.
- We see the content removed.
- Open Registry Editor from Start.
- Go to the route: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – SYSTEM – CurrentControlSet – Control – Print.
- Right-click on Print and select “Export”.
- Apply the changes saving the backup of this key.
- Go to the route: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – SYSTEM – CurrentControlSet – Control – Print – Monitors – Local Port Validate that the DWORD value “Driver” is present with the value “localspl.dll”.
- Go to the route: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – SYSTEM – CurrentControlSet – Control – Print – Providers Delete the keys created there by right-clicking on each one and selecting Delete.
- Now we go to the route: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – SYSTEM – CurrentControlSet – Control – Print – Environments – WindowsNTx86 – Drivers.
- Delete the keys available thereby right-clicking and selecting Delete.
- After this we go to the route: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – SYSTEM – CurrentControlSet – Control – Print – Printers.
- We will remove the keys from current printers in Windows 11.
7 . Clean print spooler Windows on 11
- Finally, we can clean the print spooler to correct the error, in this case, we click on the print icon on the taskbar.
- In the pop-up window we go to “Printer – Cancel all documents”.
- Apply the changes.
These are the ways we can recover the optimal performance of the print spooler on the Windows 11 operating system.