What you can do if you shut down your Windows 11 or 10 computer, but instead of shutting down, the fan and the motherboard keeps working. This involves your computer in cases where after shutting down your computer it’s not fully powering down. So to fix a computer not turning off after shutdown follows the steps given below.
6 Ways to Fix a Windows 11/10 PC not Turning off after Shutdown
- Turn off Fast Startup
- Reinstall your Drivers
- Updates your Drivers
- Update BIOS/UEFI
- Run the Power Troubleshooter
- Disable Power Management for USB Drivers
Method 1: Turn off Fast Startup
The fast startup helps the computer to restart quickly, which is introduced as a new feather in Windows 10. Because of this sometimes it can be a problem if the Windows 11 or 10 Laptop/PC is not turning off after shutdown. Follow the given steps to turn it off.
1. Press at the same time the Windows Bottom and R key.
2. Then copy posercfg.cpl and paste into the box.
3. After that Click ok.
4. Click the Choose what the power buttons do option.
5. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable option.
6. Unchecked the box of the Turn on fast startup after that.
7. Click Save the changes and close the windows.
If your computer doesn’t shut down problem won’t be fixed then follow my next steps.
Method 2: Reinstall your Drivers
Using old drivers brings a lot of issues to the computer, out of which the problem of don’t Turing off the computer can also be there. You can uninstall or reinstall your graphics drivers.
1. Open your Device Manager option.
2. Double click the Display adapter.
3. After that right-click on the graphics drivers.
4. Click the uninstall device.
Don’t worry when you restart the computer then automatically reinstall the drivers. After that, your problem will be fixed.
Method 3: Update your Drivers
We should always keep all the drivers up to date for our system to perform efficiently. If your drivers are not up to date then update them. It might fix the “Computer Won’t Shut Down or Turn Off” problem.
1. Click the Windows key button and search the Device manager.
2. Click the Device Manager and double click on the Display adapter.
3. Then right-click on the Graphic driver and click on the Update driver software.
4. Next click on the Search Automatically for the updated driver software option.
5. After completing the upgrade then restart your computer.
Method 4: Update BIOS/UEFI
If the issue doesn’t fix after following the above steps then try to follow these steps. Try to update BIOS/UEFI to the latest version.
1. Go to the Computer manufacturing website.
2. Search your Computer version and download the latest BIOS/UFFI version.
3. After downloading complete copy it to a USB flash drive.
4. Then restart your pc and enter the BIOS/UEFI menu.
5. Install it.
Method 5: Run the Power Troubleshooter
You can use Power Troubleshooter which is a built-in windows computer that can fix general issues automatically related to our power and sleep settings.
1. Go to computer settings
2. Click on System
3. Go to Troubleshoot and then other troubleshooters
4. Run the troubleshooter
Method 6: Disable Power Management for USB Drivers
For disabling the power management for USB drivers then follow step by step given bellow
1. Go to your Device manager option
2. Double click the USB controller
3. Right-click on the General USB Hub and click properties
4. Click on the power management
5. Untick the box of Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Repeat the same for all devices.
Hope one of these solutions will fix the Windows 11/10 computer not turning off after shutdown.