Apple has released the first public beta of macOS 12 Monterey which is available to anyone with a compatible Mac. It does not require a developer account. In this article, we will discuss macOS 12 Monterey installation process.
You should backup before you upgrade to the macOS 12 Monterey
Since it is a beta, with related bugs, crashes and possible incompatibilities with third-party apps, you should make a backup via Time Machine or other alternatives by following the official Apple guide. Also, It should be noted that macOS Monterey can only be installed on these Macs:
- iMac late 2015 and later
- iMac Pro late 2017 and later
- Mac Pro late 2013 and later
- MacBook 2015 and later
- MacBook Air early 2015 and later
- MacBook Pro early 2015 and later
- Mac mini late 2014 and later
Step by Step Guide to download and install the macOS 12 Monterey Public Beta
Note: Once you have done the preliminary operations, you can proceed with the installation of the public beta of macOS Monterey. Also, it should be noted that before proceeding with the installation, make sure you have 20GB of available disk space.
- Firstly, you have to visit the official beta.apple.com page
- Click on the Sign In button at the top right and log in by entering your Apple ID credentials.
- From the top menu click on Enroll Your Device.
- Now select macOS from the top menu
- Scroll down and click the Download the macOS Public Beta Access Utility button
- Once you have downloaded the macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.dmg file, you have to go to the folder where you downloaded the file (by default it is “Download”) and double click on it. Now you will find the macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.pkg package inside the image file that you will need to open to start the installation.
- After completing this procedure, you can start the update to macOS Monterey which, remember, may take some time. If an automatic pop-up does not appear for the download of the operating system, to start the update go to System Preferences> Software Update and you will see the message to start the beta installation.
Note: The macOS 12 Monterey installation process takes a while. Depending on your internet speed it can take about 40 minutes or longer.
You may also like to read our iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 public beta installation guide from here.