When you open an app, but the Apple Store hasn’t authorized the application, you will see an error notification: “macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware”. Also, the same error message appears when you try to install an app from an unknown developer that is not available in the apple store: “App cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for malware”. So, if you are installing an unauthorized app and getting this issue, then don’t worry. Here we will talk about its fixes.
What is the “macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware” problem?
Gatekeeper is a security feature that mac has built it. Gatekeeper does not allow the macOS to install illegitimate apps, which is not safe for your mac. When you try to download and install an unauthorized app, the Gatekeeper shows this message “macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware”.
Can you open an unauthorized app on macOS?
It would be best if you were very careful when installing any unauthorized app since it might cause damage to your mac. You can install or open the app if you trust the publisher. You will have to take the risk by installing an unauthorized app. So be careful before doing this.
Three ways to fix the “macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware” error.
If you want to install an unauthorized app on macOS, you can try following our three methods below.
- Through Control-Click.
- By clicking the Open Anyway button.
- Allow apps from “Anywhere”.
Method 1: Through Control-Click
- Open Finder on your Mac device.
- Click the app with the error “macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware”.
- Open the application by clicking Control-Click.
- After that, click on Open to run the app, and you won’t see the error.
Method 2: By clicking the Open Anyway button
- Click the System Preferences on the Apple menu.
- Open Security & Privacy option and then click the General tab.
- After that, you can see an Open Anyway button for the unauthorized app.
- Click the Open Anyway button to open the app. After that, you will be asked to enter the admin credentials and then type in the admin credentials to proceed.
- When asked to run or install the blocked app, click on the Open button on your mac.
Method 3: Allow apps from “Anywhere.”
This option allows you to install apps from anywhere except App Store or unauthorized developers.
- Open the Terminal and enter sudo spctl, then click master disable.
- After that, Open your System Preference on Mac.
- Click on the Security & Privacy option.
- Now you can see the “Anywhere” option will be enabled and selected automatically.
- After that, you can efficiently run and install apps from anywhere. The good thing is that you can easily disable the option later.
Scan your Apple Mac for malware
Antivirus One is a handy malware scanner and remover. If you want to scan the malware using Antivirus One, follow these steps.
- Download the Antivirus One app from the Apple Store and install it.
- After completing the installation then, open the Antivirus One app.
- Click the Antivirus One icon on the screen’s menu bar in the upper right corner.
- Now click the Start scan button.
- Click the Scan tab and choose any of the three types of scans you want to run.
If you want to scan all the files on your macOS, click the Full Scan option, and if you only want to scan selected files, you can choose the Custom Scan option if you want to check specific files on your Mac.
We hope your problem will be solved, and you can successfully install the unauthorized app.