Notepad is the default text editor on Windows 11 computers to open .txt files. Notepad++ is free and open-source text editing software that provides a bit more functionality for working with text. Today we are going to take a look at how to replace Notepad with Notepad++ in Windows 11.
Steps to Install Notepad++ in Windows 11
- Go to notepad-plus-plus.org => select the latest version and click on “Download”
- Install Notepad++ application
Lock Notepad and Make Notepad++ Default in Windows 11
Open a command prompt as administrator. Now depending on the bitness of your Windows, copy and paste one of the following commands. Windows 11 only support a 64-bit processor. So, use 64-bit command for your Windows 11 PC.
Make Notepad++ the default application instead of Notepad
If in the first method “Notepad” is blocked and Notepad++ is made by default, then in this you only change the default application for a certain type of file and you can use both editors as needed.
- Click on any text document with the right mouse button and go to “Properties”.
- Opposite “Application” click on “Change”.
- Tap on “More Apps”.
- Click on “Find another application on this computer”.
- Navigate to the notepad++. Exe file and select it, click on “Open”.
- Click on “OK”.