Windows 11 operating system integrates different ways to create automatic actions in the system that helps us save time and simplify processes even when we are not in front of the computer, one of them is the possibility of automatically shutting down the Windows 11 computer if it is not in use, this helps to improve the useful life of some of the hardware components and, incidentally, to avoid leaving the equipment on, leaving it prone to unauthorized access.
If we also have a Windows 11 laptop, it is even more important to turn it off and avoid consuming the battery if we do not use it. In any case, saving energy is important and it is interesting to program Windows 11 to turn off if it is not used. We will explain the step by step to achieve this in Windows 11 operating system and thus create this automatic task.
Steps to automatically shut down Windows 11 if not used
1. To achieve Automatic Shutdown in Windows 11, open the Task Scheduler from Start.
2. Now select the option “Create task”, in the displayed window we assign a name to the task.
3. Activate the “Run with highest privileges” box and in the “Configure for” field we set Windows 10.
4. Now go to the “Triggers” section and click on “New”.
5. In the window that opens, Activate the “Daily” box, set the execution time and apply the changes. We can configure the repetition of the task and the “Enabled” box at the bottom must be active.
6. Now you can see the change applied. In the “Actions” tab we click on “New”.
7. In the open window validate that there is the option “Start a program”, enter the command “shutdown” and in the field “Add argument” enter “/ S“. The shutdown command shuts down the equipment and the / S parameter forces it to shut down, applies the changes.
8. In the “Conditions” tab, Activate the box “Start the task only if the computer is idle for”. There we establish the times in which the equipment will turn off after detecting that it is not in use.
9. Now go to the “Settings” tab and mark these checkboxes”Run task as soon as possible after the scheduled start is missed”
“If the task fails, restart every” and assign the times.
10. Apply the changes and by entering the administrator credentials. Now click OK and the task will be created.
11. Right-click on the task and select “Execute”, in order to verify that the established criteria are met.
12. Now you will see a dialogue box. Click close and after a moment the equipment will turn off.
This is the way we can schedule Windows 11 to shut down automatically after a period of non-use.