Many users have reported the “This device cannot start (code 10)” error in Network Adapter while plugging a device. The device doesn’t work correctly. When checking on the device manager, the users find an error in the device manager. The “This device cannot start (code 10)” error appears right in the network adapter’s properties.
This error might occur if the device settings are incorrect, installed drivers are outdated, corrupt, or incompatible drivers, and due to some faulty hardware devices. However, if you ever run into this error, don’t panic. It’s pretty easy to fix. We will discuss several solutions.
4 Ways to Fix the “This device cannot start (code 10)” Error in Network Adapter:
- Update your Device Drivers.
- Power Cycle your PC.
- Re-enable and disable the USB controller.
- Perform System Restore.
No 1. Update your Device Drivers
This issue mainly occurs due to using wrong drivers or outdated drivers. Your system should have an updated and compatible driver. Having corrupted drivers may cause this error. Check your driver status and update them by following our given steps below.
- Go to the start menu and search Device Manager.
- Open Device Manager and locate the device that is causing the error.
- Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Click on the Driver menu tab and select Update Driver.
- Choose Search automatically for the updated driver software option.
- Now windows will find the best available driver.
- Download and install the driver.
- Restart your system and check your problem.
You can update device drivers manually by using a CD/DVD. Updating device drivers may fix the issue.
No 2. Power Cycle your PC
- Unplug your charger and power off your laptop.
- Now remove your battery. If you are using a desktop, remove all the power cables.
- Press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds.
- Then wait for 10 minutes.
- Now put the battery back in, plug back your power cables and boot your system.
- After booting your system, check if the issue is fixed.
No 3. Re-enable and disable the USB controller
This method lets the controllers recover the USB port from any corruption. You can use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers.
- Go to the Start Menu and search for Device Manager.
- Open Device Manager and locate Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Now expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Right-click the USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers and uninstall it.
- Now repeat the process for each USB controller listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- After doing the process, restart your PC.
- Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all needed USB controllers.
We hope this method will help you fix the “This device cannot start (code 10)” error.
No 4. Perform System Restore
If all the above methods don’t solve your problem, you should perform a system restore on your PC, which will help to revert your computer to the previous working state where the system was working without any issues. Try a System Restore by following our given guidelines below.
- Open Control Panel.
- All control panel items select Recovery.
- Now click on Open System Restore.
- Click next to process to the system restore.
- Here you will be shown all the available restore points ( make sure you created restore points already).
- As you select a restore point, you can click the “Scan for affected programs” to view the applications installed.
- The last restore point will be deleted during this process.
- Now click cancel to go back to the wizard.
- Click Next and confirm your restore point.
- Hit yes to start the system restore process.
- During this process, your system will be restarted and re-apply all the necessary settings for your computer.
- Once the process is complete, you will go back to that point in time when your system was working correctly.
Lastly, we have provided some reasonable working solutions to fix the “This device cannot start (code 10)” error in the network adapter. By using our given methods, you will be able to get rid of this error problem. Feel free to drop any ideas or suggestions with us.