Several windows users have reported that an unknown USB device suddenly shows an error in Windows 10/11. The strange error message you get says Unknown USB Device (Descriptor Request Failed); after that window doesn’t recognize USB devices anymore. So if you are suffering from this problem, then don’t panic. We will provide you with some methods about how can you fix these error USB device descriptor failures in Windows 11 or 10.
10 Ways to Fix the Descriptor Request Failed Error
- Turn off Fast Startup settings.
- Disable your USB Selected Suspend Settings.
- Connect the USB device to another port.
- Update the Generic USB Hub Drivers.
- Update USB Device’s Drivers.
- Use the Windows Troubleshooting Tool.
- Uninstall and Reinstall Unknown USB Device Driver.
- Uninstall USB Root Hub Driver.
- Reinserting the Power Supply.
- Screen Hardware Changes in your PC.
Method 1: Turn off fast startup settings
You can try to fix this problem by turning off fast startup. Some users have been able to fix this problem by using this method. So follow the given steps.
1. Type Powercfg.cpl and search in the windows search result.
2. Tab on Choose what the power button does on the left side of the window.
3. Click on the change settings that are currently unavailable.
4. Unmark the box. Turn on fast startup (recommended).
5. After that, click on save changes.
6. Restart your computer and then check the problem is solved.
Method 2: Disable your selective suspend settings
You can also solve the error problem by disabling your selective suspend settings. Follow the following method.
1. Open the Control Panel in your windows
2. Then select the Best math
3. Click System and Security then Power option
4. Then click Change plane settings
5. An new window pop up, then select the chance to advance power settings
6. Double click the USB settings in the Power options screen.
7. Double click the USB selective suspend settings and disable the On battery and Plugged in options.
8. Tab on the apply button and then click OK.
After that, restart your computer, plug in your USB device, and check the error problem.
Method 3: Connect the USB device to another port
The Port on which the USB was installed earlier may be that the USB Port does not work. So you can try Plugging your USB into another Port.
Method 4: Update the Generic USB Hub Drivers
Now you can use this method to update the Generic USB Hub drivers. When you update your older drivers, many issues get fixed. So try to solve using these methods.
1. Press the Windows +X key to open your device manager.
2. Double click the Universal Serial Bus controllers option in the device manager.
3. Then right-click on the Generic USB Hub option.
4. Next, click the Update driver option.
5. When the new windows open, click search automatically for drivers.
After that, restart your computer and check the plugin on your USB device when the update is complete.
Method 5: Update USB Device’s Drivers
If it doesn’t fix your problem using the previous method, try to update your USB device’s drivers. So follow our given steps to try updating your USB device drivers.
1. open your Device manager option on your windows.
2. Double click on the Universal Serial Bus controllers option.
3. Then right-click on the Unknown USB Device.
4. After that, click on the Update Driver option.
5. Now click on search automatically for the updated driver software option.
Wait till the download is complete, then restart your PC or Laptop. Check the USB error problem by inserting your USB.
Method 6: Use the Windows Troubleshooting Tool
Now we are trying to fix this unknown USB Device error problem by using Windows Troubleshoot Tool. Many users have said that this error problem has also been fixed by using this way. So let’s follow the steps
1. Search Troubleshoot in the windows search option.
2. Open Troubleshoot window and click the Hardware and Devices option.
3. Now, automatically, windows will check the issues after that when the process is done.
4. Then click on Apply this fix option.
5. After that, restart your computer and check whether the issue is a fix or not.
Method 7: Uninstall and Reinstall Unknown USB Device Driver
In these steps, we are talking about uninstalling an unknown USB Device Driver and then how to install an Unknown USB Device Driver. Follow these steps to fix the Descriptor Request Failed error.
1. Open your Device Manager by searching in Windows Search.
2. Then double-click on the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
3. Now, right, click on the Unknown USB Device Driver.
4. Tab on the Uninstall device.
5. After that, unplug the USB device and plug it back into your computer.
6. Click on Scan for hardware changes.
7. After that, Windows will reinstall the Unknown USB Device Driver.
I hope these methods fix your problem now.
Methods 8: Uninstall USB Root Hub Driver
When we restart our PC or Laptop, Windows will automatically reinstall the drivers. So now we are trying to uninstall the USB Root Hub Drivers by using these steps.
1. To open Device Manager by right click on the Start menu button.
2. Double click on the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
3. Then right-click on the USB Root Hub Option.
4. After that, click on the Uninstall device.
5. Uninstall all USB Root Hubs.
Restart your PC, and then you can see your problem will be fixed.
Methods 9: Reinserting the Power Supply
You can remove all the power supplies to fix the problem instantly. But these methods work only for laptop users. After pulling the power supply plug, wait a few minutes and insert the USB device again. When you insert your USB, Windows will recognize USB Root Hubs as the new devices so that windows will install its drivers automatically. Now check the error problem and hopes it will be fixed.
Methods 10: Scan Hardware Changes in your PC
We are trying to scan your computer for hardware changes in these methods. After scanning your PC for hardware changes, the pc could recognize the connected USB device. Let’s check these points.
1. Insert the USB device into your computer.
2. Now, open the device manager.
3. Click on the Action option at the top.
4. Then select the Scan for hardware changes option from the list.
5. System will recognize all hardware changes.
After that, you can see your problem will be fixed.
At last, we have been able to help you to fix the Unknown USB Device Descriptor Request Failed Error problem.