RAM memory has evolved over the years and today we find computers that support much larger amounts of RAM. This means that the execution of the orders will be much faster since execution orders such as opening programs, starting the computer, etc., pass through the RAM, so the more RAM we have we will notice better execution speeds.
As we work on our computers, RAM is affected by multiple causes that can range from the presence of viruses to work overload, but the good news is that it is possible to free up our RAM memory. There are few options available to free up RAM in Windows 11 and we will explain each of them to you.
How to Free Up RAM and Reduce RAM Usage on Windows 11?
1. Free up RAM in Windows 11 with a script
Although it sounds like something technical it really is something simple and the mission of this step is to defragment the memory, defragmenting involves compacting the spaces that are free in memory and these are spaces that remain after uninstalling some applications, being a free space, it can be used by memory for other types of performance-enhancing tasks.
- To create the script we must know what is the RAM memory installed on our computer, we open Settings from Start.
- There we go to “System – About”.
- In the next window, we check the amount of RAM installed. In this case, it is 16 GB.
- We open the notepad from the windows search.
- We enter any of the following values according to the installed RAM.
512MB: Mystring = (320000000)
1GB: Mystring = (655000000)
2GB: Mystring = (1100000000)
3GB: Mystring = (1655000000)
4GB: Mystring = (2000000000)
6GB: Mystring = (3000000000)
8GB: Mystring = (4000000000)
16GB: Mystring = (7300000000)
- Mystring is a command that has the ability to free up RAM in Windows (all its editions).
We save the file with the extension .vbs at the end.
- In the “Type” field, set “All files” and click Save.
When the RAM fails or we notice slowness in the execution of the applications, we access the folder and execute the VBS file.
2. Free up RAM in Windows 11 with Empty Standby List
- Another option is the use of applications created for this purpose, one of them is Empty Standby List which is available for free at this link.
- This has been developed as a command-line tool with which it is possible to release:
1. process working sets
2. list of modified pages in RAM
3. waiting lists (priorities 0 to 7)
4. waiting list priority 0 exclusively
- Open CMD (it must be opened as administrator to avoid generating an error).
- In the console, access the folder where the app has been downloaded using “cd” and then execute “EmptyStandbyList.exe workingsets”
- With this command, the RAM memory of the programs and applications currently running in Windows 11 is freed. We open the Resource Monitor from Start.
- In the Resource Monitor, in the “Memory” tab we find the modified files.
- In the CMD console, we execute “EmptyStandbyList.exe modifiedpagelist” to release the modified waiting lists.
- It is also possible to use any of the following options:
1: EmptyStandbyList.exe priority0standbylist: This allows you to delete the minimum content in the waiting memory, that is, they are the contents that are not being used at that moment but maybe useful at some point. This command allows you to set the value according to the priority level (up to number 7 ), zero is the lowest priority.
2. EmptyStandbyList.exe standbylist: thanks to this command, all the content in the waiting memory is deleted regardless of the priority set
3. Reduce RAM Usage in Windows 11 via REGEDIT
- Open the Registry Editor with “regedit“.
- Let’s go to the route: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – SYSTEM – CurrentControlSet – Control – Session Manager – Memory Management.
- Double click on the value “ClearPageFileAtShutdown” and set the value to 1 in “Value information”.
- Apply the changes.
4. Fix High RAM Memory Usage in Windows 11 by removing visual effects
- Press Windows + R and enter “sysdm.cpl” in the open window.
- Now go to the “Advanced Options” tab and there we click on “Settings” in the Performance section.
- Activate the “Custom” box and then deactivate the necessary boxes.
- Apply the changes.
5. Clean RAM in Windows 11 with Task Manager
- We open the Task Manager from Start in Windows 11
- In the “Processes” tab we look for the task of the app that consumes the most RAM.
- Then after finding out the app, Right-click on the application and select “End task”.
- Once finished, we go to the “Performance” tab, we select Memory to validate its status in real-time.
These are the options available in Windows 11 to free up the RAM memory and thus work completely and quickly.